Parker’s Piece

Parker's Piece is one of Cambridge's most famous open spaces. Originally part of Trinity College, it was acquired by the town of Cambridge in 1613 as pasture land and named after a college cook, Edward Parker. In the 19th century, it was used as a first-class cricket-pitch and a sports ground for Varsity matches between the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford. In 1838, a feast for over 15,000 people was held in honour of Queen Victoria's coronation. There were bands, choirs, sports and games, fireworks, and even a hot air balloon. In 1911, local history was made when former Cambridge undergraduate and aviator W.B.R. Moorhouse made an emergency landing in Parker's Piece. In 2012 the Olympic Torch was brought to Parker’s Piece on its way to the Olympic Stadium in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics and 2014 it was the location for the start of the Third Leg of the Tour de France cycle race. Today, this green space continues to be a popular place of recreation for football, cricket, fairs, picnics and events.

Download History Story Laminate Here

Read full History Story Here


In this section